May 18, 2024  
Academic Catalog 2016-2017 
Academic Catalog 2016-2017 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration, Enrollment, Grade Policies

Return to: Academic Policies and Procedures  


Add/Drops of Courses

Adding Courses

Students may add group/online seminar courses to their schedule during the first two weeks after classes start. Adding a group/online seminar after the 3rd week of the term will require instructor permission.

Students in the doctoral degree programs and Respecialization certificate program may contract for an individual course either in advance of the term or anytime while the term is underway, provided that they have ample time left to submit the completed work for assessment with their faculty member, the course is eligible for individual contracting, and given the constraints of the timely response policy for faculty.

Contracting for a course in the previous term that has already concluded is not permissible.

Adds that occur after the pre-term registration period ends are subject to a late registration fee. Please consult the University Master Calendar for specifics on these registration deadlines and the Schedule of Fees for fee amounts.

Master’s/Certificate Program Course Drops

During the first two weeks after classes begin, students may drop courses from their schedule without academic penalty.

Beginning with the third week of classes to the eighth week after classes begin, a student who needs to withdraw from a course may apply to do so with the office of the Registrar. A grade of ‘W’ (Withdrawn) will be posted to the transcript.

After the eighth week has commenced, if the student withdraws from the course, then the appropriate grade is ‘NC’ (No Credit).

For all drops, the refund schedule will apply as published in the refund policy.

Doctoral Program Course Drops

School of Leadership Studies

In the SLS doctoral programs, a student may request to drop an ungraded contract/course in a current or future term at any time for any reason. If the student is a financial aid recipient, their request to drop the course will be evaluated as to how it may affect current or future financial aid eligibility, and if an effect is found the student will be so advised before the drop is processed. A grade of ‘W’ (Withdrawn) may be posted by the Registrar.

School of Psychology

PSY Group contracts, Moodle seminar, & Individually Delivered Course Drops

In the PSY doctoral/RCP programs, dropped courses that utilized group study of any kind (Moodle seminar or otherwise) have additional criteria that determine the final grade posted for a dropped course, as follows: 

  • If the drop occurs within two weeks of the course start, or, in the case of an individual contract submitted after the term has commenced, it occurs within two weeks of contract submission, and there is no financial aid impact to the drop, the course can be dropped with no grade. A financial aid eligibility impact to the drop will require the posting of a ‘W’ (Withdrawn) grade by the Registrar.
  • Students may drop courses after two weeks and before the 8th week of the term has commenced with the permission of the faculty member with a ‘W’ if:

a. the Withdrawal is not a substitute for a failing grade based on complete, or nearly complete, participation in the course with poor performance that would typically receive a poor grade;

b. the instructor deems the Withdrawal more appropriate than an Incomplete based on the amount of course requirements the student has yet to fulfill and the unfeasibility of allowing the student to finish those requirements at a later time with an Incomplete.

If the student unilaterally withdraws from the course, or drops the course after the 8th week has commenced (deadline as posted in the university calendar) then the appropriate grade is ‘NC’ (No Credit).

If the student withdraws from the course with permission from the faculty member to complete the course with that faculty member at a later time, then the appropriate grade is ‘I’ (Incomplete). The ‘I’ grade requires a mutually agreeable expiration date (between faculty assessor and student). If a letter grade is not submitted to replace the ‘I’ by the expiration date in place of the ‘I’, a grade of ‘NC’ will be posted by the Registrar. The maximum amount of time an Incomplete can have before a final grade is required to be posted is one year from the originally scheduled end of the course.

Psychological Assessment Labs (PALS) and Research Skills Seminars (RSSs) Drops

In a lab with only a face-to-face component a student may drop the PALS/RSS lab up to the day the lab meets without receiving a grade. A financial aid eligibility impact to the drop will require the posting of a ‘W’ (Withdrawn) grade by the Registrar. After the lab begins a student may drop the lab and be awarded a ‘W’ (Withdrawn) with the permission of the instructor.

If the PALS/RSS lab extends after the face-to-face component a student may drop the lab within a two week period following the face-to-face meeting without receiving a grade. A financial aid eligibility impact to the drop will require the posting of a ‘W’ (Withdrawn) grade by the Registrar.

After that two-week period a student may be awarded a ‘W’ (Withdrawn) with instructor permission if:

a. the Withdrawal is not a substitute for a failing grade based on complete, or nearly complete, participation in the course with poor performance that would typically receive a poor grade; 

b. the instructor deems the Withdrawal more appropriate than an Incomplete based on the amount of course requirements the student has yet to fulfill and the unfeasibility of allowing the student to finish those requirements at a later time with an Incomplete.

If the student unilaterally withdraws from the lab the appropriate grade is ‘NC’ (No Credit).

Policy Revised 01/09/2017


Alumni Enrollment

Graduates of Fielding’s degree programs are welcome to apply to our other program offerings.

In addition, doctoral program alumni may request to continue study in a specific doctoral program knowledge area course to supplement the academic content of their programs, or as a requirement for licensure in their state. Requests for additional study must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office and approved by the Dean or Director of the program in which the course is offered. Such enrollments are valid for one trimester and normal grade policies apply. Under these contracts of study, alumni/students have access to the appropriate faculty member and administrative personnel, and may attend classes, sessions or seminars related to the course being studied during the agreed upon period.

Graduates of Fielding’s doctoral or master’s programs may request to enroll in Organizational Development & Leadership or Media Psychology program courses after graduation. There is no limit on the numbers of academic courses the graduate may take.

Alumni enrolled in such study will not be eligible for financial aid or in-school deferments, and receive a 20% discount off the regular tuition unless noted as otherwise in the Tuition and Fee Information  section of this catalog. Please note that taking additional academic courses does not automatically enroll the alumni in any of the formal certificate or degree programs; alumni seeking additional certificates or degrees from Fielding must follow admissions procedures for those programs.

Policy Revised 01/01/2013


Concurrent Enrollment

Fielding does not allow, in any of its schools, concurrent enrollment between two degree programs (masters/doctorate). However, the School of Leadership Studies does allow concurrent enrollment between a degree program and some of the short-term certificate programs. The School of Psychology does not permit concurrent enrollment in another program(s) at Fielding for any of their students.

Students should consult with their Graduate Program Advisor for specifics on which programs allow concurrent enrollment and satisfactory academic progress implications.

Bear in mind that separate tuition and fees are charged by each department for each course of study, although discounts are available in some cases. For tuition and fee information, please refer to the Tuition and Fee Information  section of this catalog.

Policy Revised 07/01/2013


Course/Seminar/Session Cancellations

Fielding Graduate University reserves the right to cancel classes as instructor availability, enrollment numbers or space issues may demand. Every effort will be made to avoid cancellation or interruption of instruction where possible, and to provide alternate arrangements when necessary to avoid impeding student progress.

Policy Revised 01/01/2009


Enrollment Statuses

Enrollment as a student at Fielding Graduate University is defined as a completed Admission Agreement, signed by the student and the Director of Admission or designee, receipt of the student’s first tuition payment and any other required enrollment fees, and successful attendance/participation at the face-to-face orientation for that academic program or other initial event. Enrollment at Fielding Graduate University constitutes an agreement by the student to abide by the rules, regulations, and policies of the university.

Applicants and/or students who voluntarily withdraw or are withdrawn from the enrollment agreement prior to or during the face-to-face orientation will not incur tuition charges and 100% of their tuition payment will be refunded.

Students enrolled in the doctoral programs and the postdoctoral Respecialization certificate program are considered to be fulltime students during their enrollment and are assumed to be continuously enrolled each term if either tuition payments or registration for the term is received.

Doctoral students will be reported as less than halftime when they have completed all academic requirements other than the final filing of their dissertation.

Students in the masters and certificate programs (excluding the postdoctoral Respecialization program), are designated as fulltime for periods where their credit load is 8 credits or more. Students carrying between 6-7.5 credits are designated as three quarter time and those carrying between 4-5.5 credits are designated as halftime. Students carrying less than 4 credits are designated as less than halftime.

Students in the two-year Neuropsychology certificate program will be considered halftime during their first two years as they complete didactic coursework. If a third year is permitted in order for the student to complete supervision or practicum hours, the student will be considered less than halftime beginning with the third year of enrollment.

For all students, beginning with the Spring 2016 term, leaves of absence are reported to the federal government as periods of withdrawal whenever the student is not registered in any coursework for that leave period.

Policy Revised 01/01/2016


Faculty Assignments and Continued Enrollment

Students in the doctoral and other individualized, multi-modal study programs must have an assignment to a faculty advisor/mentor at all times during their active enrollment. Either students or faculty may withdraw from such assignments. Ideally, students will negotiate a replacement faculty advisor/mentor within 30 days of such a change. If not, the school administration will assign a faculty advisor/mentor to the student.

Upon beginning the dissertation process, each doctoral student is responsible for the establishment of their dissertation committee, including the chair of the committee. Either students or faculty may withdraw from such assignments. Students are entirely responsible for the replacement of all members of the dissertation committee, including the dissertation chair. If a doctoral student is unable to successfully negotiate a replacement dissertation committee chair within 90 days, Fielding Graduate University reserves the right to withdraw the student from the program.

Students enrolled in master’s degree or academic certificate programs may or may not have faculty advisor/mentor assignments, depending upon the philosophy and delivery of those programs. If such faculty assignments are required, the above policy applies.

Policy Revised 01/01/2003


Grades and Credit

Documentation of courses attempted and completed is maintained in the student’s file. Units of credit and grades are recorded on the student’s transcript.

Any non-term courses, clinical training, research training, or dissertation steps completions (e.g., steps or hours were accrued) that occurred during a term break will be credited in the previous term, except in cases of exams administered during the term break, which will be credited to the next subsequent term.

After graduation or withdrawal, Fielding keeps only those records necessary to verify the transcript or as required by law.

Credit Hours

The following policy applies to all Fielding courses, regardless of delivery method (e.g., residential with seat-time, independent study, online or hybrid).

For all of Fielding’s graduate level academic programs, and except as noted below, one credit hour represents the equivalent of three hours’ work per week on the part of a student during a 15 week term. Fielding defines work to include course contact time either asynchronously or synchronously, individual faculty/student contact time, and time spent studying, doing research, and completing homework assignments. Thus, a four unit course will be expected to require 12 hours of total work per week on the part of the student.

A course offered in a term of less than 15 weeks shall contain the same contact hours, preparation time, content, and requirements as the same course would if offered over a 15 week semester.

Unit value for course offerings and justification for same is determined per program in the course or curricula proposal. Credit hour assignments are expected to be reviewed for accuracy during each program’s periodic renewal/audit.

Applied Media, Research Practica and Clinical Training Practica/Experiences
A clock hour to semester credit ratio of 40:1 or 80:1, as appropriate and as defined in the course description for the respective course will be used.

Continuing Education
CE credits for psychologists that are offered through the APA approved provider program in the School of Psychology are awarded on the basis of 1 hour equaling 1 credit. Credits awarded through all other continuing education programs at Fielding are based upon the Continuing Education Unit (CEU), which is defined as 10 hours equaling 1 CEU.

Psychological Assessment Labs and Research Skills Seminars
One half semester unit (0.5) is assigned per full lab day (6-8 clock hours).

Variable Units
Courses that are listed for variable units must specify how unit values will be assigned. Requirements should be clearly delineated for each unit value offered.

Grading System

Fielding’s faculty assign grades to represent satisfactory completion of graduation requirements. Some degree programs may have more restrictive grading policies than others. Related policies specific to a particular school or program are available elsewhere in this catalog.

  A Outstanding, original or excellent, demonstrating high competence and participation.
  B Substantial in quality, demonstrating basic competence and participation.
  C Average; not acceptable for doctoral level work.
  F Failing; competence has not been demonstrated.
  CR Credit; given for areas of study inappropriate to letter grading, or at the student’s request, for completion of work at a level of B or better.
  I Incomplete. See below for additional explanation.
  NC No credit; competence has not been demonstrated.
  W No credit; student withdrew or was withdrawn from time-bound course.
  R Repeated course; original grade replaced.
  AU Audit. Auditing is attending class without benefit or expectation of receiving credit.

Credit/No Credit Grade Option

In general, the grading default for courses is letter grading with a student option for credit/no credit (pass/fail). In some cases, the program will have determined that credit/no credit grading is always preferable for a course, or that only letter grading is allowed. Courses that are only available for credit/no credit grading are noted in the course catalog with a grade option of “Credit/No Credit Only.” Courses that are only available for letter grading are noted in the course catalog with a grade option of “Letter Only.” A course that is typically offered with a default letter grade schema, but on a particular occasion will be offered as credit/no credit only will announce this in the syllabus.

If available, a student can choose the credit/no credit option at the time of registration and may not change the grading basis in a course after the deadline given in the University’s Master Calendar

A student who registers for a course on the credit/no credit basis and earns a grade of B or better is awarded the symbol CR for the course. If the student receives a grade lower than a B, a grade of NC is recorded. If the student receives the symbol CR, the course is not included in the grade point average; if the student receives a grade of NC, the course is included in the grade point average. A CR grade will count for course credits will count towards applicable graduation requirements. A grade of NC will not count for course credits and will not fill any requirements for graduation.

Coursework requirements and methods of evaluation in a course will be the same for students registered on the credit/no credit basis as they are for students registered on the letter-grade basis. Students are still subject to the same prerequisites and requirements for a credit/no credit course as students enrolled in the course under the standard grading system.

A student who wishes to change their grade option on an eligible course should contact the Registrar’s Office prior to the posted deadline. The student will need to know the course number of the class he/she wishes to change. A course is ineligible for a grade option change when the course is always graded a certain way (only letter grades or only credit/no credit) or the particular offering will be graded either only letter or only credit/no credit (as announced in the syllabus).

Once the deadline to change the grade option is over, a student who has registered for an eligible course on the credit/no credit option may not for any reason change to letter grading, or vice versa.

Students who need to document that a CR grade is passing for scholarship applications, employer reimbursement or similar needs, may contact the Registrar’s office for a letter.


The grade of ‘I’ (Incomplete) may be assigned by the faculty member when the student’s work is substantially complete, yet incomplete due to circumstances which were unforeseen and justifiable. A request for an Incomplete should be initiated by the student, and approved by the faculty member, prior to the deadline for submission of grades. The student’s request must include the reason for the Incomplete grade request, the deliverables to be completed, and the submission date proposed for the deliverables. If the faculty approves the request for the Incomplete he/she will provide an expiration date for the Incomplete. The expiration date should take into account the student’s submission date of coursework and the time necessary for faculty review of the materials in order to grade. Generally, a gap of 1-4 weeks is needed between the submission and expiration dates. The student must submit the required coursework deliverables on or prior to the submission date agreed to, and the faculty must submit the new grade to Fielding’s administrative offices for processing prior to the expiration date for the Incomplete. An Incomplete grade not changed by the expiration date will revert to an ‘NC’ (No Credit). Incomplete expiration dates may be extended by faculty as necessary, although PSY courses are limited to expiration dates that are no later than one year from the course’s end date.

Grade Points and Averages

Fielding emphasizes competence, and encourages students to value learning over grades. However, some students may prefer letter grades for a variety of external reasons. All grades can be calculated on a 4.0 scale, where ‘A+’ = 4.3, ‘A’ = 4.0, ‘A-’ = 3.7, ‘B+’ = 3.3, ‘B’ = 3.0, etc. Grades of ‘I,’ ‘CR,’ ‘R,’ ‘AU,’ and ‘W’ are not calculated into a student’s grade point average. ‘NC’ and ‘F’ grades both count as zero grade points towards the grade point average. When a course needs to be retaken, both the original grade and credits and the grade and credits earned in repetition will be used in computing the grade point average, except in cases where a student has successfully petitioned to have a grade replaced.

The grade point average calculation for satisfactory academic progress may differ, as specified in the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

Grade Deadline

Instructors/faculty are expected to use the online grading system in WebAdvisor whenever possible and as implemented. In general, grades are due at the end of the university’s term. Please consult the University Master Calendar for specific grade deadlines.

If the course has been graded with an Incomplete, the expiration date on the Incomplete supersedes the established grade deadline for that course in that term and becomes the new grade deadline.

Grade Changes

Students must contact their assessing faculty/instructor directly if an assigned grade for a completed course is in question. Grades are based upon the substantive judgment of the faculty member, and faculty grading decisions are final. If the assessing faculty member/instructor determines that an assigned grade should be changed, the assessing faculty/instructor should submit the request for the grade change to the Registrar’s Office. Such requests must be received within six months of the original grade posting.

Grade Replacement

Students* can choose to repeat a course in which they earned a non-passing grade and petition to have the original grade replaced with an ‘R’. For purposes of replacement grade petitions, a non-passing grade is considered a ‘B-’ or below for the doctoral, postdoctoral, and postbaccalaureate certificate programs, and a ‘C-’ or below for master’s and all other graduate certificate programs.

Courses must be repeated within one of the 3 subsequent terms from the original term in which the course was registered to be eligible for grade replacement. For students who withdraw and re-enroll, non-passing grades from before the withdrawn period must be repeated within three terms (12 months) of re-enrolling, or as directed by the university or program as a condition of their re-enrollment in order to be eligible for grade replacement.

If the student has attempted the same course multiple times, only one of the non-passing grades is eligible for petition to be replaced. Students may petition for grade replacement of a maximum of 3 credit-bearing courses (up to 12 credits total) per academic program.

Course grades that have been reviewed by the disciplinary committee for allegations of academic dishonesty may be ineligible for replacement based on the outcomes of those disciplinary findings.

In the case that a course is no longer offered due to a curriculum change, a student may petition for grade replacement of an equivalent course in the new curriculum (if one exists) with the permission of the program.

To petition for grade replacement, students must submit a request to the Registrar’s office after the eligible course has been successfully completed. The request for grade replacement must be submitted within one term after successfully completing the eligible course. The registrar’s office will determine if the request meets the terms of this policy and if so, a grade replacement will be made.

Within one year of the implementation of this grade replacement policy (e.g., through February 2016), requests for grade replacement that meet all aspects of this policy except the timing of the repeated course will be forwarded from the Registrar’s office to the relevant Program Director and the Dean for Student Development for consideration. No other exceptions to the policy will be considered. One year after this policy is implemented, no exceptions to the policy will be considered.

*Grade replacement will not be permitted for Clinical Psychology PhD and Respecialization certificate students whose non-passing grade was earned Fall 2016 or later. Both the passing and non-passing grades will be calculated in the grade point average. 


When a residential cluster in the Neuropsychology certificate program is not otherwise full, alumni from the program or approved health care and health service providers are permitted to return to audit the didactic courses of the two year program. No other auditing of courses in other programs by students or alumni is formally recognized.

An audit status indicates that the student has merely received instruction, rather than achieved a given standard. This technique is often employed by individuals who wish to take a specific course without the risk of under-performance resulting in a poor or failing grade. This can be helpful when reviewing a long-unstudied subject, or when first beginning the study of a discipline where one has little experience or confidence. Some students audit a class merely for enjoyment with no need or desire of academic credit.

At Fielding, an audit registration is a non-credit registration for the student who wishes to attend lectures in a course, and/or observe classroom activity online, without any responsibility to take examinations, complete homework or papers, practice hours, or to be evaluated. At the discretion of the instructor, a student registered as an auditor may be expected to participate in any and all in-person classroom or online discussions.

Successfully audited classes appear on the student’s transcript marked with AU (Audit) in the grade value column. Audit registration will not be included in computing a student’s academic/enrollment load and does not count towards satisfactory academic progress or financial aid eligibility. Audited courses do not meet graduation requirements nor impact the student’s grade point average. Auditing students are counted towards the course’s enrollment cap. Credit for courses audited will not subsequently be granted on the basis of the audit.

Policy Revised 03/01/2017


Leaves and Withdrawals

Leave of Absence Policy

The purpose of leave time is to permit students time off from their studies.

Approved leaves of absence are considered a temporary hiatus from study and do not constitute dismissal from Fielding. Students concurrently enrolled in more than one academic program are ineligible to take leave in just one program. Not all academic programs allow for leaves, and others allow for leaves only after the first term or first year of enrollment or re-enrollment has passed. Students should check with the Advising office and/or published leave policies by school or program with questions about the applicability of leaves for their program(s), personal leave eligibility, or the leave policy.

There are three types of leaves available to students at Fielding Graduate University: 1) full-term leave 2) emergency leave, and 3) military leave.

Requests for leave must be made in writing to the Advising office, and approval for the leave must be obtained before beginning the leave. All leave requests must include a specific reason for the leave. Any student taking leave without approval will be considered withdrawn.

Students are not permitted to participate in any academic activity while on leave, including but not limited to: coursework, clinical training, residency, research, internship, or data collection. In addition, instructors are not required to review student work received during the leave period. Students on leave may not attend residency sessions.

This break from academic coursework is best determined by students and can include, for example, time off to deal with health issues (emotional and physical), family, financial, and work related concerns. Furthermore, students are responsible for using these leaves for their intended purposes.

Students on financial aid should be aware that disbursements of student loan funds and in-school deferment statuses can be affected by leaves of absence. A student who is on academic and/or financial aid probation may not meet the terms of probation if the leave is not part of the approved academic plan upon which the probation is based.

Full-Term Leave of Absence

Students are eligible for up to three non-consecutive full-term leaves during their student tenure, no more than one term per 12-month period. A student will not be charged tuition for the period of a term-length approved leave. If a student has already paid tuition for the term-length leave, a tuition credit will be posted to the student account.

Advance request of full-term leave is strongly encouraged in order to adequately plan for the academic and financial repercussions of the leave, and the request must be received no later than the 5th day of the term. Leave requests received after the 5th day of the term will be considered for Emergency Leave of Absence.

Emergency Leave of Absence

If a student encounters an emergency situation after the 5th day of the term that will cause them to be unable to complete their enrolled coursework, the student may be eligible to request an emergency leave of absence for the remainder of the term. The emergency leave replaces one of the three terms of leave of absence available to the student. No more than 180 days of leave may be taken during any 12 month period.

The request for emergency leave must include an explanation by the student of the situation that has led to the need for the emergency leave. The Dean for Student Development will review all emergency leave requests and must approve an emergency leave before it can be taken. The student must work with their instructors and the Registrar’s office to determine if and when any in-progress coursework will be completed, with the Registrar making the final determination about in-progress coursework, if necessary, in compliance with applicable policies and regulations. Students who remain enrolled in their courses (and receive grades of Incomplete) will not receive a tuition refund.

Students who request to withdraw from all current term courses will have ‘W’ grades transcripted, even if it is past the add/drop deadline, and may receive a refund in accordance with the tuition refund schedule.

For students on payment plans, monthly payments will continue when a student is on leave.

Military Leave of Absence

Enrolled students in any academic program are eligible for military leave regardless of academic standing. Military leave cannot exceed 180 days in a 12-month period with the student returning to study on or before the end of the 180 day period. If there are multiple deployments, a military leave can be granted for each deployment; however the same 180 day limit in a 12-month time period applies. The leave may start as soon as two weeks after the date of the student being notified of their deployment by the military. The student must provide copies of the official notification.

The student must work with their faculty and the Registrar’s office to determine if and when any in-progress coursework will be completed, with the Registrar making the final determination, if necessary, in compliance with applicable policies and regulations.

Students who remain enrolled in their courses (and receive grades of Incomplete) will not receive a tuition refund. Students who withdraw from all courses will receive a refund in accordance with the tuition refund schedule.

Students with federal or private student loans who may be deployed longer than 180 days in a 12-month period should contact their loan servicer(s) to request a Military Deferment on those loans.

Returning from Leaves

All leaves are granted with the expectation that the student will return from the leave on the date indicated in the approval. To return from leave, all past due tuition and fees must be paid by the 15th day of the month prior to the return date. In addition, students must register for academic work within 15 calendar days of the return date. Failure to register for coursework or to pay an outstanding balance upon return may result in withdrawal by the institution.

In certain exceptional situations, students may be allowed to return early from a leave. Tuition will be charged for any applicable period of enrollment and students enrolled for more than 60% of a term will owe the full tuition for that term. Leaves ended early will still count as a full term leave towards the student’s total leave time permitted. If a student wishes to return from a leave early, they should make a written request to the Advising office detailing the exceptional circumstances that necessitate the early return. Requests will be reviewed by the Dean for Student Development, and any decisions made will be final.

Requests for Additional Leave

If the student needs additional time away from study beyond one full term or 180 days of Emergency/Military Leave within a 12-month period, the student will need to withdraw and apply for re-enrollment when circumstances allow it. Students who have been separated from the university may be eligible to re-enroll.

If a student has exhausted their total eligible leave time, any further leave requests will be reviewed by the Dean for Student Development on a case-by-case basis for approval, and any decisions rendered are final. In no situation will a leave be approved that exceeds 180 days in a 12 month period.

Withdrawal Policy

Elective Withdrawals

Students are encouraged to consult with faculty advisors or program directors, their Graduate Program Advisors and other administrative or financial personnel prior to withdrawal in order to receive support in the decision-making process and to discuss any possible alternatives to withdrawal. However, if a student decides to withdraw from their academic program at Fielding, the student must submit a signed, written statement to the Registrar’s office, including reasons affecting the decision. Email submissions are acceptable if they are sent from a student’s Fielding email account.

Elective withdrawals will be effective as of the first day received by Fielding administration, except in the case of a student who requests to withdraw while still on leave. When an elective withdrawal request is made while the student is on leave or immediately upon return from leave, the withdrawal date will be the date the student began the leave of absence. Students may also request to be withdrawn effective as of a future date, such as at the end of a term.

Unofficial Withdrawals

The Registrar’s office will withdraw students when academic engagement cannot be confirmed regardless of whether the student has notified administration of their withdrawal. The withdrawal date will be the last date of confirmed academic engagement or the mid-point of the term, as determined by the Registrar in compliance with applicable policies and regulations.

Policy Revised 08/10/2016



If a withdrawn student wishes to re-enter the same program they left, s/he must contact the Advising Office ( to apply for re-enrollment.

  • If the student was in good academic standing at the time of withdrawal, and less than 3 terms have passed since the start of the withdrawal period, s/he is eligible to re-enroll under their same catalog year that was in effect when they withdrew, if that curriculum is still available.
  • Students must be in good financial standing in order to re-enroll. All past due tuition and fees must be paid in advance of re-enrollment. Tuition for the upcoming term must be paid ten days prior to the first day of re-enrollment.
  • If more than three terms have passed since the start of the withdrawal period, or the student was not in good standing at the time of withdrawal, applicants will be evaluated by the program to determine eligibility to re-enroll. With rare exception, such students will be subject to current catalog/graduation requirements in the program they are re-entering. The student’s prior work completed at Fielding will be evaluated for applicability to current program requirements. The university may require that additional conditions be met, including but not limited to: successful completion of a New Student Orientation or attendance at a national session, and/or completion of specific coursework in the first year of re-enrollment.
  • At the discretion of the Dean for Student Development, a new application submitted through the Office of Admissions may be required if the out-of-school period has exceeded 5 years.

Re-enrollment applicants will be asked to document how their circumstances have changed to permit timely completion of the program requirements. Service members whose withdrawal was necessitated by required military service, should document said military service.

Re-enrollment requests are subject to review and re-enrollment is not automatic or guaranteed. The Advising office will be available to provide guidance regarding re-enrollment matriculation dates, academic offerings, financial considerations, and other variables related to a return to school. With rare exception, re-enrolling students are expected to begin study at the start of the term. Applications for re-enrollment must be received prior to the term’s re-enrollment application deadline as published on the University Master Calendar.

The Registrar’s office will notify the student of the outcome of the request for re-enrollment, and any conditions for re-enrollment.

No student will be re-enrolled without first settling her/his financial obligations to Fielding, and signing a re-enrollment agreement.

Re-enrollment Rights of Service Members

Service members who are requesting re-enrollment within 3 years after the completion of the military service that necessitated their withdrawal, will be considered for re-enrollment to the same program to which they were last admitted or the most similar program if that program is no longer offered.

For the first academic year in which the student returns, they will be assessed the tuition and fee charges at the same rate that was in place at the time the student ceased their prior attendance. If the service member is re-enrolled in a different program in which the current tuition/fees is less than the tuition/fees of the prior program, the lesser tuition/fees will be assessed.

Returning service members will be re-enrolled to the same catalog of graduation requirements under which they left, unless the program has changed so substantially that the university determines there are no reasonable efforts (such as refresher courses at no cost) that the university can take to prepare the student to resume the program at the point where he/she left off; or after making such efforts, the university determines the student is not prepared to resume or complete the program.

Policy Revised 10/15/2015


Registration Limits

Doctoral students and Respecialization certificate students must receive approval from their program director to register for more than 16 new credits per term. Media master’s and media certificate students are limited to no more than 12 credits. Clinical psychology certificate students are limited to no more than 10 credits. All other certificate and master’s programs that require student self-registration restrict students to no more than 8 credits per term without program director approval.

In all cases, this limit does not include incomplete work from prior terms or ongoing practice activities that are considered non-term and transcripted after completion (e.g., clinical or research practica, dissertation steps).

Individual programs may add additional conditions or restrictions.

Policy Revised 01/01/2017



Session Registration

Fielding has a registration deadline for all sessions. This takes place approximately eight weeks prior to the beginning of each session and is clearly stated on the session websites and in each registration booklet. The University Master Calendar lists session dates and registration deadlines.

The needs of students are at the very heart of most Fielding policies and practices and registration deadlines are set in order to provide better services to students, not to keep students from participating. Students spend much time and money attending the sessions and they need to accomplish their goals at the sessions. Therefore, it is important that we have proper room accommodations, correct audio-visual equipment, that student meetings are set up correctly and that schedules are accurate with correct times, locations, etc. The hotels we work with have strict deadlines for the sort of information we must give them and these deadlines are set shortly after the registration deadline we have set for students. This gives us a small amount of time to set up proper logistics and then provide the information to the hotel.

Student participation and communication are crucial both to the mission of the University and to successfully completing the doctorate. For this reason, there is no limit on the number of students who can attend a national or research session. If 400 students register for each session, we will set up the session to accommodate that number. When working with a group this size, last minute happenings (such as late registrants) can cause major mistakes in the overall schedule because slight changes as they move down the line of people needing to know (both Fielding staff, faculty, and hotel staff) can cause ripple effects. This is the reason we are fairly strict with the deadline; not as a restrictive measure. If an institution does not look out for the whole of the institution, then it is not looking out for the individual. Being a student-driven system does not mean that all students will have things best suited for them, it means systems will work well for MOST students.

Because we know that many students have major life events that impact their decision to attend or not to attend a session, we have a process for late registration. Students who have missed the deadline may appeal to the Appeals Committee. The Appeals Committee will confer and respond in a timely manner to your request.


Write a brief statement explaining why you missed the registration deadline and state why you feel it is important for you to attend this session. Send to Conference and Event Services via email (

Anyone who is allowed to register after the deadline will be subject to a $100 late registration fee. This fee is in addition to the session registration fee. These costs must be paid at the time of registration. Please note: students who are registered late for a session are only registered for the session as a whole and must add individual seminars to their schedule when they arrive at the session.

Policy Revised 03/01/2012



Academic transcript requests will be processed within 5 business days upon receipt of the request in the Registrar’s Office. All requests must be in writing or via secure means. There are several ways by which this can be accomplished:

  • A Transcript Request form is available at the Office of the Registrar page and can be faxed or mailed. Please be sure to sign the document.
  • If you have an authorized email signature form on file with Fielding you may write to to request academic transcripts via the email address you specified on the email authorization form.
  • Students or alumni with WebAdvisor accounts may use the online transcript request form available there.

RUSH academic transcript processing is available (1-3 day processing and overnight delivery), provided we receive payment by check or credit card information for billing purposes. Currently enrolled students are not required to make the rush payment in advance, but should be aware that any unpaid fee may incur finance charges and no additional transcripts will be sent until the previous fee is paid.

Holds on academic transcripts will be in place for former students who have not paid all outstanding tuition and fees, and for those former students who have not completed any required exit counseling process in regards to student loans.

Official transcripts of credit earned at other institutions which have been presented for admission and transfer credit purposes become the property of Fielding Graduate University and will not be returned or copied. Copies of these transcripts must be requested from the originating institution.

Current students and alumni may print out unofficial copies of their academic records (tracking sheets) from WebAdvisor.

Policy Revised 11/01/2010



Transfer Credit

Applicants who wish to transfer credit from a prior school into a Fielding program of study should consult the website on Transferring Credit and the Transfer and Articulation handbook for related policies and procedures.


Transferring Your Program of Study

Students who wish to transfer from one Fielding program of study should consult the Transfer and Articulation handbook for related policies, procedures and articulation agreements.