Apr 25, 2024  
Academic Catalog 2016-2017 
Academic Catalog 2016-2017 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


University Standard

Fielding Graduate University admits students of any race, color, nationality, or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the University. It does not discriminate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race, color, or national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and other school-administered programs.

For admission to any Fielding program leading to a degree (master’s/doctorate), it is required - at minimum - that the applicant submit an official transcript of an earned bachelor’s or master’s degree from a US college or university accredited by a regional accrediting agency or one recognized by the United States Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, or an equivalent international degree.

In addition, the following Fielding Graduate University programs require that the bachelor’s or master’s degree institution be regionally accredited by a US regional accrediting agency, or, if an international degree, that the international degree be evaluated by an approved independent agency as equivalent to US regionally accredited degree:

  • Clinical Psychology PhD program
  • Respecialization in Clinical Psychology certificate program
  • Neuropsychology certificate program

For any academic credit bearing activity at Fielding that does not result in the conferral of a degree (certificate programs and non-matriculated academic credit) the program must require for admission, at minimum, an official confirmation via a degree verification service and/or direct confirmation with the awarding institution’s records office that the applicant has completed a baccalaureate degree or higher from a regionally accredited US institution or one recognized by the United States Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education, or an equivalent international degree.

Applicants for admission to any Fielding academic credit program who have international degrees will need to have their international transcripts evaluated for degree equivalency, unless their international degree program has an established articulation agreement with Fielding. Applicants should review the information about those organizations that Fielding has approved to provide such evaluations. If the applicant is applying to a non-degree program of less than 24 weeks/two terms, he/she can be admitted prior to evaluation of their international transcripts being completed. If, however, the international transcript evaluation once received does not meet the admissions eligibility criteria, or is not received before the end of the first term, the student will not earn academic credit in their courses and will be dismissed.

Programmatic Admissions Standards

Programs are free to enact additional admissions standards as long as they exceed the above requirements. The existing standards for each program can be found in the application materials and admissions web pages.

Nonimmigrant (International) Students

Fielding is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students and those students follow the same application process as all other students. An applicant wishing to enroll at Fielding on a nonimmigrant visa (F-1) for either the purposes of ease of travel to residency sessions or for moving to the United States for the duration of their studies will need to speak to a Designated School Official (DSO) in the Registrar’s Office and must meet all of the additional requirements outlined as follows:

  • Be admitted to a degree program and maintain fulltime enrollment while on F-1 visa status. Online only and certificate program students are not eligible for F-1 visas.
  • Supply documentation of their available financing. This is usually accomplished via bank statements or bank letters certifying that a student has the financial resources to attend the university.
  • Supply copies of passports, address information and other pertinent demographic information for themselves and any dependents.
  • Complete the appropriate F-1 visa application with their local consulate, including paying their own F-1 visa application fees.
  • International students transferring from another college/university on an F-1 student visa are required to submit copies of their visa, I-94 card, and all previously issued I-20 Forms. The SEVIS Transfer Eligibility process must also be completed by the international student adviser at the student’s previous institution.

Fielding has no residence halls or living facilities; thus, F-1 visa students are responsible for securing their own housing. Fielding also does not provide on-campus employment.


Policy Revised 03/01/2017